Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sightseeing in Tianjin

I wanted to quickly write about some of the things I've been able to do in Tianjin since I've been here. This past Saturday my roommate and I went in to town to check out a couple of the places Tianjin is famous for. Our first stop was a really nice Beijing "jia jiang mian" restaurant. It was really nice and super cheap (a bowl of noodles cost less than $2).

After that we went to a famous shopping street called 和平路 "Heping Street." It is a incredibly long street that has hundreds of various shops and malls.
After exploring around a bit, we decided to go down a side street that led to a famous Catholic church (apparently a bunch of people got killed there some time ago). Along the way we made a quick stop in a big shopping mall. Close to the entrance there was a small stage set up and some girl was singing a Chinese hip hop song. After her song, and then some dude's song, these 3 guys came out and started break dancing. They were pretty cool guys so I filmed most of it (check out the video below).



After the show ended, we headed back towards the church. It was kind of strange seeing a Christian church in China (they aren't very common). The church was open for visitors to check out and take pictures.
That was about all I did that day. Tianjin is a pretty small city in comparison with Beijing. I think I've covered all of the main things to do in Tianjin. I think I'll be planning a trip to the portion of the Great Wall that is close to here (the part that ends at the coastline) sometime soon. We'll see.....

No comments:

Post a Comment