Sunday, June 10, 2012

Kaleido - Shanghai Theater Show Review

Kaleido, a nightly acrobatic performance put on by Shanghai Era Entertainment Ltd., can be seen daily at the Shanghai Gong Theater near People's Square in Shanghai. For those looking for something to do in the evening the stunning acrobatics, lights, and music are sure to entertain people of all ages.

The show unfolds through the eyes of an elderly woman as she flips through a photo book an recounts memories of times past. The various acts highlight various acrobatic feats that might be familiar to those who have seen acrobatic shows in the past.  This does not make the show any less impressive however.  

The lighting, special effects, and music have been carefully crafted and selected to help the viewers lose themselves in the performance.  I only wish I could somehow get the soundtrack as I found myself humming along with some of the more upbeat background songs. This show, much like other acrobatic shows, does not skimp on the thrills.  The talented acrobats perform feats that the less-flexible people that myself would surely deem impossible.
One of my only complaints came from the perceived lack of enthusiasm from some of the performers. At times I could hear the performers counting down for their fellow acrobats which took out of the performance and back into reality.  I felt like I was watching a rehearsal at times, which was a bit disheartening. I guess this could be attributed to the repetitiveness of doing the same performance every day for months at a time. I happened to go on a week night so maybe those are treated more as rehearsals and save the showmanship for the weekend performances.
If you are planning on visiting during the week it may be to your advantage to sit somewhere in the back half of the theater or on the second level. My wife and I purchased tickets for the third row so that might have made it easier for me to notice these minor distractions.  

Verdict: If you haven't seen a Chinese acrobat show and you have a spare evening in Shanghai I would definitely recommend this show. If you have already been to acrobat shows in the past, and are not a fanatic, you aren't missing out on anything ground breaking.

3 back-flipping acrobats out of 5.

Address (Chinese): 延安东路433号
Address (English): 433 Yan'an Dong L
Phone Number: +86 021 66525468

Tickets can be purchased at the box office and most major hotels can help you arrange tickets as well. They cost ranges from 80 RMB per person for the seats in the back of the first floor to 580 RMB per person for the premium seats.

Have you been to the show before? Seen any acrobat shows that you feel are must-see?  Sound off in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment