Saturday, January 31, 2009

Never Thought I'd Meet a Celebrity in Beijing!

Well it's been a while since I posted, so I figured I'd fix that. The weather is starting to get rather cold in Beijing (it even snowed a little bit), so it's finally time to start wearing all the winter clothing I've been buying from the local clothing markets!

So, what have I been up to recently? A couple of weeks ago I went with some of my friends to visit the Pagoda Forest and Tanzhe. It was a pretty cool experience. The temple was nestled in the hills just a little bit west of Beijing. To get there we took a taxi from the west end of town. It ended up costing us almost 100 RMB. We didn't realize it would be that far. By the time we made it down to the Pagoda Forest, it was pretty much empty. It was a real serene experience.

More recently, the "Flying Acrobats" show was amazing!!! I was planning on taking loads of pictures but I forgot to charge my battery before. Sorry about that. But for those of you that might be planning a trip to Beijing, you absolutely must plan on seeing this show! It will blow your mind! After the show some of us decided to go to the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner. We coudn't have picked a better night to go! Bobby Kimball from Toto was performing that night, and we got to watch for free since we were dining there! I must admit, however, I didn't even know who Toto was before that night. Of course I recognized a few of their hits (Love Isn't Always on Time, Africa, etc), I am just not a huge fan of 80's music. All in all, it was a good evening!
Just recently, I had the opportunity to go with a few of my Dutch friends to Qianmen (close to Tiananmen Square) to do somesightseeing. It is a pretty cool place. There is a street that they have reconstructed with a lot of shops and restaurants. It is meant to looklike the old "Westernized" part of Beijing, which is prettycool. Most of the shops were still vacant when we went, but I'm surethey'll fill up in the coming months. There are also a lot of scenic hutongs in the vicinity, which are worth a look as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment